Queen Rearing and Cell Grafting Class 2023
Thank you for your interest in MCBA’s Queen Rearing and Cell Grafting Class. You are eligible to sign up if you meet and agree to the following requirements and criteria:
1. Queen Cell Grafting requires manual dexterity, depth perception, a very steady hand, and visual acuity (good eyesight or purchased magnification)
2. A knowledge of basic bee husbandry and ability to evaluate strong, extremely well populated hives
3. A history of keeping colonies alive over several seasons
4. Successful in making splits
5. Able to sacrifice one, preferable two, overwintered production hives for the class and a portion of, or all of the production year
6. A recent mite count, and if count exceeded 2% threshold, treatment completed before class start date
7. Able to find queens, whether marked or unmarked
8. An understanding that to continue Queen Rearing and Cell Grafting Class, additional costs may be incurred for items to continue grafting
Class size will be limited to 12 participants. Must attend both Theory classes in order to participate in Hands-on class.
Two-Week Theory Class taught by Scott Famous by Zoom invitation:
Thursday, April 13 from 7 – 9 PM AND
Thursday, April 20 from 7 – 9 PM
Hands-On Class taught by Dr. Vincent Aloyo at his residence:
Participants from the Theory class will be split into one of the two sessions:
Saturday, April 29 from 9 – 11:30 AM or
Saturday, April 29 from 1 – 3:30 PM
Rain / cold weather date is May 6th.
- Theory Class: $70
- Hands-On Class: $125– includes cell bar, Chinese grafting tools, and cell cups. Registration link will be made available to Theory class participants .
Only payment for the Theory class will be required when registering.